University of Chicago
Project Type: Higher Education
Project Size: 14 Story
The International House at the University of Chicago was completed in 1932. The English Gothic style facility consists of several multi-story wings, two interior open courts, and a 14 story high tower located at the north side of the complex. The building exterior walls consist of solid construction made from cut Bedford limestone cladding mechanically fastened to concrete or brick/tile backup wall and building frame.
After 80 years of stress on the building envelope, the University elected to design and oversee construction for a complete exterior facade rehabilitation.
The project scope included:
- Coordinate, review and approval of restoration construction documents with the City of Chicago Landmark Commission.
- Performed a thorough condition survey of the building’s exterior limestone facade.
- Provided remedial repair details for the selected building envelope repairs.
- Prepared detailed design and bidding documents for the selected repairs.
- Provided full time construction observation services and Owner assistance throughout the construction process.