734 North Cass Street Parking Structure
The Downtown Parking Structure is located at the corner of Mason Avenue and Van Buren Street in downtown Milwaukee. The original parking structure was built in 1977 and was designed by Poor, Swanke, Hayden & Connell-Sasaki Associates, Inc. The parking structure addition was built in 1988 and was designed by Flad and Associates. The open air parking structures were designed with post-tensioned concrete frames and reinforced precast concrete panels.
In 2011, a façade inspection revealed significant spalling and distress at the precast concrete panels due to corrosion of the embedded steel elements. In cooperation with the owner and the City of Milwaukee, contract documents were developed for bidding and repairs were performed by a local qualified contractor.
The owner, under ZS design and direction, performed the repairs during the 2011 construction season at all building elevations. The building façade was restored to a safe condition. This project’s start to finish project approach included:
- Performed a thorough condition survey of the building’s exterior façade, including a hands-on examination along all building elevations
- Developed remedial repair recommendations and probable construction costs to correct the existing deficiencies
- Prepared detailed repair bidding documents for the selected repairs
- Provided owner assistance services in issuing the project for bid in accordance with owner bidding procedures and requirements
- Removal and replacement of a deteriorated precast concrete panel and installation of a temporary steel frame panel.
- Performed periodic construction observation and management services