Midway Studios – National Register of Historic Places
ZS and Berglund Construction
University of Chicago
In 1906, Lorado Taft established working studios on the south edge of the University of Chicago campus. The propagating building was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1965, a National Register of Historic Places building in 1966, and a Chicago Landmark in 1993.
Following numerous modifications and more than a hundred years of Midwestern weathering effects, the University selected ZS to design and oversee construction for a complete exterior facade restoration.
The design and construction management duties of the project included:
- Emergency shoring and structural member replacement and repair.
- Selective exterior masonry unit replacement and tuckpointing of degraded mortar joints.
- Helical anchoring of existing masonry walls.
- Steel lintel replacement over windows and doors.
- Membrane roof system replacement near failing parapets and areas of water infiltration.
- Full-time construction observation services.