University of Chicago
Project Type: Higher Education
Project Size: 2 Story
In 1906, Lorado Taft established working studios on the south edge of the University of Chicago campus. The propagating building was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1965, a National Register of Historic Places building in 1966, and a Chicago Landmark in 1993.
Following numerous modifications and more than a hundred years of Midwestern weathering effects, the University selected ZS to design and oversee construction for a complete exterior facade restoration.
The design and construction management duties of the project included:
- Emergency shoring and structural member replacement and repair.
- Selective exterior masonry unit replacement and tuckpointing of degraded mortar joints.
- Helical anchoring of existing masonry walls.
- Steel lintel replacement over windows and doors.
- Membrane roof system replacement near failing parapets and areas of water infiltration.
- Full-time construction observation services.